Friday, September 18, 2015

Keep On Connecting

Often "dates" with my husband consist of the hour and a half long commute to and from our sporadic training seminars, mandatory to maintain our license as a foster care family. Recently, on one such long drive, Tim asked me who has had the greatest influence on my life in the past ten years. My first response was "Midday Connection!" I discovered this noonday program I don't know how long ago and began to listen as these intelligent women discussed books, movies, music, culture, and how it all related to our relationship with our Creator God. I've attended three Midday events, I think; 2 luncheons at MBI and a creative retreat weekend. After hearing about the book God of All Comfort on the program, I began the study with friends of mine who were suffering deeply. It was a priviledge to walk that journey with them with a guide I could trust to keep us holding on to Jesus. I was able to speak with Dee Brestin at the live program luncheon. What an honor. 

I can't tell you how many times I've recommended either the program itself or a resource I've discovered through Midday. I've laughed and cried. I've argued back, standing at my kitchen sink, my hands in soapy water. But these friends, they taught me how to argue and still be friends!

This is my third attempt at writing a post dedicated to Midday Connection. My first was in the tantrum stage, and I knew it would never see the light of posting. :) My second focused on a little preaching the Holy Spirit did with my daughter and me, we both of us struggling with change and its inherent pain, discomfort and uncertainty. As I spoke the truths to her, seeking to encourage and strengthen her, the Holy Spirit turned them and shot them right back into my own aching heart. God is Good. All the Time.
He is the potter. I am the clay.
He is the garden. I am the plot.
And above all, He is the Perfectly Good God who does all His work to His glory and our good. 

I won't pretend that I'm not still angry. I find it ironic (oh as an English major I'm always afraid of using that word in the wrong way), that the program on which the leadership chose to announce the ending of Midday was the book club session where Dr. Rosalie de Rosset talked about the silencing of women. I cannot help but see the ending of Midday as just that. The silencing of a group of women who encouraged Christians to seek God while He may be found. There is nothing like this anywhere else on Moody or any other radio station. I think the leadership is wrong. But I understand that God is still in this. He will still work His perfect plan. 

I am still afraid. I love connecting people with resources to meet their needs, and Midday gave me an opportunity to expand my knowledge of such resources. A place to direct others in need. Now I feel it's on me. If I want to continue connecting others to help, then I will have to intentionally be out there discovering the resources myself. I don't know how or if I even have the time to do this. 

I am still sad. While I hear Anita's anticipation with joy and Lori's sabbatical plans of peace, while I watch God do a beautiful thing in Melinda's waiting, I still mourn the loss of a daily meeting with dear women. They don't know me, but they have become trusted friends, women who speak truth, who dare to question the status-quo, who stretch and challenge me and most of all encourage me to listen to the Voice of God.

But I know. I know that God is Good. He is the Potter. He is the Gardener. I hope to continue to follow these women in their journeys. I hope that their encouragement to us--to keep on connecting--is not in vain. We can use what we've learned to continue to reach out to others even as we grow deeper in relationship with God.

I'm ending with my favorite "change" song--"Lord, I Don't Know" by the Newsboys. I'm praying this for the people of Midday (I really am so thankful for all of them even though the three most common voices get the most recognition!) and for us the listeners as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment